My family's favourite buttercream icing recipe. Just four ingredients and so easy to make. You can use the recipe for frosting a cake or cupcakes and can be used on it's own or under fondant.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 lb butter, softened to room temperature (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 kg bag confectioners sugar (approximately 2lb or 8 cups)
WHAT YOU DO
- Place the softened butter into the bowl. Using the paddle attachment or hand mixer, whip the butter slightly.
- Add vanilla and milk on low speed, mix until combined.
- Scrape down the bowl and put the mixer on low speed.
- Slowly add the sugar, no more than a cup at a time.
- Once all of the sugar is incorporated into the mixture put the mixture on high and whip until the icing is a light and fluffy texture.
- If necessary, you can add more icing sugar and milk until the desired texture is achieved.
Store in an airtight container. If refrigerating the icing before use, bring back to room temperature and give it a stir before using so that it is easy to spread.